The ApocaDocs, Jim and Michael, present the Pre-Apocalypse News & Info Quiz (PANIQuiz) for the week beginning Monday, Aug. 16, 2010, to test your knowledge of current, environmental news.
New Free Book, "Humoring the Horror of the Converging Emergencies"
This Week's PANIQuestions (Answers below):
1. What is likely to push people toward eating more fish and vegetables?
a. Subliminal messaging.
b. The price of red meat.
c. Sexy posters.
d. Their eco-consciences.
e. Directives from the Food Czar.
2. Portugal's 45 percent renewable energy target will be reached in what year?
e. Judgment day.
3. According to a new survey, what percentage of Canadians have BPA
present in their bodies?
a. 66 percent
b. 79 percent
c. 91 percent
d. 87 percent
e. 58 percent
4. What is one proposal on feeding the 9 billion people expected to be alive by 2050?
b. Growing food on the moon and Mars.
c. Really big Big Macs.
d. It's impossible.
e. Artificial meat grown in vats.
5. What does Coca Cola pay for extracting 36 million litres of water annually from the state of Rajasthan in India?
a. One million dollars
b. Ten million dollars.
c. One billion dollars.
d. A nickel
6. What did a British-led expedition discover about Greenland?
a. It ain't British, dude!
b. It ain't green, dude!
c. It's melting at a record rate.
d. Greenland is gone.
e. Some of its inhabitants are babe-licious.
7. How much did "Earth Overshoot Day" change this year—the day we switch to borrowing from the future?
a. It now supports the Second Amendment to the Constitution.
b. It will happen three weeks later than last year, because of biofuels.
c. It will happen on Halloween, when candy consumption is the tipping point.
d. It now has Earth as the target to shoot.
e. It happens on 21 August, a full month earlier than last year.
8. What was caught on video leaping out of the Wabash River in Indiana?
a. Governor Mitch Daniels
b. Quagga mussels
c. Asian carp
9. What was the effect of microbicidal nanosilver in biosolids on plants?
a. It decreased growth in plants and overall soil biomass by 20%
b. It increased light refraction 11% by binding with the Krebs cycle.
c. It made the plants taste like chicken.
d. It shredded all cells, leaving a gelatinous mass of oozing ugly.
e. It made them grow 23% more, but only in itty bitty ways.
10. What is a "super derecho"?
a. The newly coined name for the squids coming up from the mesotheliac ocean layer.
b. The newly coined name for a nanofilament stronger than spiderstrands.
c. The newly coined name for a super species-killer (volcanoes, meteors, humans)
d. The newly coined name for last night's hot sauce this morning.
e. The newly coined name for a straight-line intense storm.