"Hoosier families can walk or run for a good cause through several fund-raising and awareness events this spring and summer in Indianapolis and its surrounding communities.
• The 25th anniversary of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure will be a 5K run or walk through the White River State Park area on Saturday, April 21. The Komen Foundation has supplied grants and developed community outreach programs around the world in the fight against breast cancer. Participants can register online at www.komenindy.org.
• Indiana will fight homelessness and raise money for affordable housing through a series of Homeward Bound 5K walks. The Indianapolis Homeward Bound Walk will start at 2 p.m. Saturday, April 22 at Veteran’s Memorial Park.
• Residents can join the fight against cancer during several Relay for Life events throughout Indianapolis’ townships. Each township’s Relay for Life information can be found at www.relayforlife.org/relay/coe.
• Indianapolis will take part in WalkAmerica’s March of Dimes on Sunday, April 29 at the Michael A. Carroll Stadium on IUPUI’s campus. Donations will provide for programs that research preventions for premature birth, birth defects and infant death. To register online and find out more about donation possibilities, visit www.WalkAmerica.org.
• As part of the ALA (American Lung Association) Rally on Friday, June 1, Hoosiers can participate in the 2007 Asthma Walk, a 5K walk that supports the Asthma Clinical Research Center. The walk will start at the steps of the Indiana Statehouse and end at the ALA’s Clean Air Zone. To register online, visit www.LungIN.org.