Urban Jazz Coalition will be in concert Thursday, March 16 in the Savoy's Pearl Room at 8 p.m.
For just over a decade, seven young musicians from Columbus, Ohio, have pursued a dream of becoming a national success. Aptly named the Urban Jazz Coalition, they have paid their musical dues, performing throughout the Midwest. Now they have finally broken through to national acceptance, opening in over 1,000 concerts for top smooth jazz heavyweights. Three well-received CDs, Into the Night, Contempo and Long Street, received national airplay and charted well in radio ratings, helping make UJC a name among jazz fans.
The group's leader/bassist Phil Raney said in Smooth Jazz News, "Getting to where we are required lots of patience and we have had to stay focused." He added, "We're the overnight success that took 10 years."
UJC plays a mellow, hip blend of contemporary jazz, R&B and Latin that should appeal to a wide range of jazz fans. Their latest CD will be released this spring.
When UJC takes the bandstand at the Savoy's Pearl Room it will be with the original group of Ben Shelbourne, saxophone, Lee Savory, trumpet/flugelhorn, Joe Gothard, guitar, Brandon Howard, keyboards, Jimmy Bridges, drums, and bassist/leader, Phil Raney.
The Savoy's Pearl Room, 2200 W. 86th St., will host the Urban Jazz Coalition in concert for its Indy debut Thursday, March 16 at 8 p.m.; tickets are $20 at the door or in advance at the Savoy's box office 5 to 10 p.m., or charge by phone at 317-824-0800.
Bassist Wayman Tisdale
(former Indiana Pacer)
Walker Benefit Concert
Former Indiana Pacer and NBA great, now a smooth jazz star, returns to Indy with his band Friday, March 17 at the Madame Walker Theatre Center, 617 Indiana Ave. The concert, "A Night With Wayman Tisdale," is a benefit to support the Walker Center's 2006 Legacy Fund Drive. Tickets are $35 general admission and $50 VIP concert seating and private reception. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the concert is at 8 p.m.
* Mary Moss & Friends will play Saturday, March 18 at The Fountain Lounge, 816 W. 30th St. from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
* The Artsgarden will feature Dave Hepler in a free solo jazz piano concert Wednesday, March 22 at 12:15 p.m.
* Maggiono's, 3550 E. 86th St., Keystone at the Crossing, features Steve Corn and Fred Withrow Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday, Bruce Polson and Fred Withrow, music 6:30 to 10 p.m.
* The Hancock County Public Library in its new home at 900 W. McKenzie Road in Greenfield will present the Jack Gilfoy Quintet in a free concert Tuesday, March 21 at 7 p.m.
* Monika Herzig and Shirley Judkins will host a free jam session Thursday, March 16 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. for singers, instrumentalists and listeners at Jazz Works ... Pass it On at Jr. Achievement G.B. Glick Education Center, 7435 N. Keystone Ave. For more info call 317-596-2778.