• Tonight (Tuesday - 2/15) at Birdy's, roots-rocker Henry French plays an acoustic set about 8:30pm, as he's on the bill with Indianapolis acoustic duo Jessie and Amy, and also Alison Noel.
• Henry Lee Summer's interview that we wrote about here last week (with WTHR 13's Scott Swan) is set to air Wednesday night (Feb. 16) during the 11pm newscast.
• Hard Rock Cafe and WTTS are choosing a local band to represent Indianapolis in Hard Rock's Battle of the Bands. The winning local band will compete nationally to win a spot on stage in London at Hard Rock Calling this June. The first Indianapolis qualifying event is this Wednesday night (Feb. 16) at Hard Rock Cafe downtown. One of those "longshot-but-what-the-hell" contests, but bands might generate some local buzz from playing, even if they don't win the big(ger) prize. I do know the Max Allen Band is one of the four competing bands on Wednesday night, so might be worth a trip downtown...
• One more WTTS note: Marc Broussard plays at the station's Studio 92 Thursday (Feb. 17) before his show at the Vogue. He was the very first artist to play Studio 92 when it opened more than five years ago.
• The numbers are in, and Sunday night’s Grammy Awards scored its biggest audience in a decade. About 26.7 million people watched the music That's up 3.1 percent from a year ago, and 57 pecent above the show’s low-water mark of 17 million viewers in 2007.
What year was the best ever, so you have some comparison? 51.7 million viewers in 1984, and 37.1 million viewers in 1985. Ah, the halcyon times of Prince, Madonna, Bruce...and Bryan Adams.
• Longtime NYTimes music writer Jon Pareles is usually right on with his critiques; his Grammy wrap correctly applauds Mick Jagger's Solomon Burke tribute and a grinning Dylan backed by the smiling and astounded members of Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers. (Both performances could/will get trashed by less-than-experienced music bloggers - an easy enough task but wrong-headed.) Plus, I thought Eminem was thoroughly invested with his performance...