One of the coolest sounds and ways to beat the heat can be heard when jazz harp player Jan Aldridge Clark brings her stellar group to the Indianapolis Zoo Thursday, August 4 for the IU Medical Group's "Animals and All That Jazz" Salute to the Women of Jazz. Clark's CD release of Anything But Ordinary has received outstanding reviews. Her mastery of the harp and ability to swing and groove on this difficult instrument has earned her praise and a strong following among local jazz fans and musicians. Concerts are held in the Cafe on the Commons Plaza with the rain location being the Kroger Pavilion Tent. Performances are 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. and a variety of exceptional dining options are available on site. Jazz Harp player Jan Aldridge Clark Group performs at IU Medical Group's Animals & All That Jazz Thursday at the Indianapolis Zoo.
Christian McBride debuts Indy
Since the passing of the premiere bassist, Ray Brown, there has been a keen local interest in the successor to that legacy, bassist Christian McBride. McBride brings his band to the Jazz Kitchen on Monday, August 8 for shows at 8 and 10 p.m. This truly is a band in the sense that all of its members have played together for an average of three years. That's long for a jazz group. The Christian McBride Band is currently on tour in support of their latest CD Vertical Vision. Geoff Keezer is on piano and keyboards. Keezer was a former American Pianists Association competitor. Ron Blake is a highly regarded saxophonist & composer and the band's senior member. Terreson Gully is on drums and was highly recommended by singer Dianne Reeves and drum master Jeff "Tain" Watts. For 8 p.m., advance sale tickets are $20, day of show $22. For 10 p.m., advance sale are $18 and $20 day of show.
* Jazz & Pop singer/guitarist Daniel Young is a regular Tuesday feature in August at BRIX Bristro, 65 S. First Street in Zionsville. He can be heard from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Conga Jazz plays Thursday, Aug. 4.
* Conga Jazz plays a free lunchtime concert at the Indianapolis City Market, "After Hours Concert," on Wednesday, Aug. 3 from 5 to 8 p.m. The legendary Hampton Sisters Quartet plays the free lunchtime concert on Friday, Aug. 5 from 11:30 to 1 p.m.
* Alto Saxophonist Jason Curry's Quintet is featured Tuesday, Aug. 9 at Indy Parks Broad Ripple Park Jazz Series. The concert is free and starts at 7 p.m.
* Singer Everett Greene brings his trio to "Concerts on the Canal "Thursday, Aug. 4. The free concert goes from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
* Convergence Trio with Sue Maginty on vocals plays Thursday at On the Rocks Bar & Grill, 5250 U. S. Highway 36 at Prestwick from 6 to 10 p.m.
* Local pianist John Stebbe has produced his first CD titled Jazzin' it Up in a trio format. Stebbe, who is a elementary music teacher in Perry Township, split the CD's tunes between jazz versions of classics from Mozart to Bach along with his own originals. It is currently available on Amazon.Com and CD Baby.Com.