(Left to right) Randy Reinhart, Marty Groz and John Sheridan headline the All Star Swingmaster Quintet at the Jazz Kitchen IJC 50th Anniversary concert Saturday, March 25.
Indy's original jazz organization, the Indianapolis Jazz Club, is having a year-long celebration for its 50th anniversary. Founded in 1956, IJC has had a long and colorful history of great traditional, swing and mainstream jazz artists performing at special events in the city.
This Saturday, March 25, the Indianapolis Jazz Club holds its second event celebrating its 50th anniversary at the Jazz Kitchen.
The IJC is bringing in some heavyweight players of the swing era for two shows. Grandmaster performers Marty Groz, guitar and vocals, Randy Reinhart, cornet, and John Sheridan, piano, have been performers on the PBS Jazz at Riverwalk programs and have recorded with each other's bands. Completing the quintet are Kim Cusack, clarinet/saxophone, and Steve Woerner, bass. Shows are 3:30-5:30 p.m. and 6:30-8:30 p.m. Admission at the door is $20.
"Jazz History and the Indianapolis Jazz Scene"
Whether you are a new or regular jazz fan and want to enrich your knowledge of jazz, IUPUI is bringing back a popular Continuing Studies class, "Jazz History and the Indianapolis Jazz Scene," starting Monday, March 27 for six Mondays. IU faculty member and jazz pianist/composer Monika Herzig will teach the class. Classes will meet at 6 p.m. in the Senior Center at the corner of College Avenue and Michigan Street. "Meet the Artist" sessions with some of Indy's most effective jazz performers will be on hand. At 8 p.m., the sessions move to the Chatterbox for a set with Monika Herzig and a different guest artist each week, performing styles discussed in class.
The programs for this spring are March 27: "Early Jazz and the History of the Chatterbox" with David Andrichik; April 3: "Swing," with guest Brent Wallarab; April 10: "The Vocalist," with guest Everett Greene; April 17: "Bebop & Latin Jazz," with guest Cathy Morris; April 24: "Indiana Jazz History," with Duncan Schiedt; and May 1: "Contemporary Styles, Indiana Avenue," with guest Lawrence Clark.
To register, the Web site is www.cln.iupui.edu. The page click "Sign Up" will open the catalog. The jazz class is in the Arts & Humanities section.
* Kwyjibo will perform a free concert Thursday, March 23 at 12:15 p.m. at the Indianapolis Artsgarden.
* The All Souls Unitarian Church, 5805 E. 56th St., presents a concert of international and jazz guitar music by the acclaimed New England guitar duo of Judy Handler and Mark Levesque Thursday, March 23 at 8 p.m. The concert will feature Brazilian, swing, Latin American, Spanish and Gypsy music. Proceeds are to benefit Common Cause and Central Indiana Jobs with Justice. Tickets are $10 at the door.
* Twelve-time Grammy Award-winning jazz artist Chick Corea and his band Touchstone will play at Purdue University's Loeb Playhouse Thursday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $24-$36 and can be purchased by calling 765-494-3933 or 800-914-SHOW. Tickets are also available at all TicketMaster outlets.
* Fountain Square Theatre, 1111 Prospect St., Friday Night Swing Dance features The Tim Brickley Quintet March 24 from 8:30 to 11:30 p.m.
* The Irvington Presbyterian Church, 555 Johnson Ave. (one block south on Audubon from East Washington Street), presents Larry Calland & Conga Jazz in a free concert Sunday, March 26 from 6 to 7 p.m.