The third week of the Indianapolis Zoo's Animals and All That Jazz presented by the IU Medical Group features the fervid vocal stylings of Cynthia Layne & Friends. From Billie Holiday to Anita Baker, Layne covers the full vocal spectrum with her fiery, free-wheeling delivery backed up by her band and backup singers. Seven Pleasures will open Indy Park's free Broad Ripple Park Summer Jazz Series Tuesday, Aug. 2 at 7p.m.
The weekly Thursday concerts are staged at the zoo's Cafe on the Commons Plaza. The rain location is under the Kroger Pavilion tent. Concert times are 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. A variety of appetizing food and beverages are featured each week. Seating is available, but you can bring your own lawn chairs. Admission is free for zoo members, non-members pay zoo admission fee.
Taste of Pike
The first Taste of Pike Festival will be held Saturday, July 30 from noon to 10 p.m. at Intech Park, 71st and I-465. The festival, which celebrates the global diversity of Pike Township, will feature entertainment by Cathy Morris, Dog Talk, Keni Washington, Dane Clark and the Spud Puppies. Twenty restaurants representing the cultural and ethnic diversity of Pike Township along with art exhibits and a kids' fun zone are featured. Proceeds from the festival will go to support the Pike Performing Arts Center. Advance tickets are $5 and can be purchased at 11 of the local Marsh Supermarkets, the downtown O'Malia's and the box office of the Pike Performing Arts Center. Tickets at the door are $8 and children under 6 are free.
* A new venue for jazz on the city's Westside is On The Rocks Bar & Grill, 5250 U.S. Hwy 36 at Prestwick. The Convergence Trio plays every Thursday, 6-10 p.m.
* Tim Brickley will play the Artsgarden in a free concert Thursday at 12:15 p.m.
* Jazz in the Park sponsored by American Legion Post 249 at Watkins Park, 2360 Dr. Martin Luther King St., will feature vocalist Hazel Johnson & Friends Sunday, July 31 from 5 to 8 p.m. Admission is free.
* Indy Park's Broad Ripple Park Summer Jazz series at 1550 Broad Ripple Ave. opens Tuesday, Aug. 2. Kicking off the free five-week concert series will be Seven Pleasures with its horn-led frontline of acid jazz, funk and grooves sounds. All concerts start at 7 p.m.
* Holiday Park's Summer Series presented by Indy Parks will feature the Buselli Wallarab Jazz Orchestra in a free Concert in the Park at 6363 Spring Mill Road Wednesday, July 27 at 7 p.m.