Animals & All That Jazz at the Indianapolis Zoo, 1200 W. Washington St., will open its annual six-week run Thursday, July 13. Under this year’s theme of “Hear the Big Beat,” the series will open with the dancing, groove-oriented jazz of popular saxophonist/flutist Gregg Bacon & Friends.
Animals & All That Jazz offers a variety of big beat sounds this year. On July 20, the Grammy-nominated, swinging Steve Allee Big Band plays, followed by national recording artist B-3 jazz organist Tony Monaco Trio July 27. The Cool Chilies will make their Animals & All That Jazz debut with pop, Latin and jazz rhythms Aug. 3. The high-spirited electric violin style of Cathy Morris & Friends will sound out Aug. 10. Brenda Williams brings her dynamic vocal stylings with The Cool Fusion Band groove Aug. 17 for the series wrap-up.
Concerts are held on the Cafe on the Commons stage from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. In the event of rain, performances will be held under the Kroger Pavilion tent. Seating is available; lawn chairs are welcome. A variety of dining options by Crystal Catering are on offer. Admission is free for zoo members, for non-members admission is the regular zoo admission fee.
• The Swing Street Band is featured Friday, July 14 at the “Friday Night Swing Dance” at Fountain Square Theatre, 1105 Prospect St. Music and dancing 8:30 to 11:30 p.m., admission $12.
• Singer/guitarist Daniel A. Young will perform at Deano’s Restaurant & Wine Bar, 1122 Shelby St., Saturday, July 15 from 8 to 11 p.m.
• Australia’s New Wolverine Orchestra will bring classic and traditional jazz to the Indianapolis Jazz Club’s year-long 50th anniversary celebration Wednesday, July 19 at the Brickyard Crossing Inn, 4400 W. 16th St. The concert runs 7 to 10 p.m., admission is $20 per person, students $5 with ID.
• Convergence plays, “Groovin’ in The Garden” at the Easley Winery, 205 N. College Ave., Saturday, July 15 from 2 to 5 p.m. Free admission.
• Ipanema performs at “Jammin’ at the Jorg” at the Eiteljorg Museum, 500 W. Washington St., Thursday, July 13 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Admission is $5 for members, $8 for non-members.
• The Four Sexes bring their sound to “Concerts on the Canal” at the Indiana History Center, 450 W. New York St., Thursday, July 13 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Free lawn seating, reserved tables of four are $25, $20 IHS members; tables of eight are $35, IHS members $30.
• The Sounds of Essence play a free concert at the Artsgarden Friday, July 14 at 12:15 p.m.
• Kincaid, 141 Clay Terrace Blvd, Carmel, is the latest venue on the jazz circuit. Thursdays and Fridays bassist/leader Jennifer Kirk & Friends play 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. No cover.