Allie McFee's Winter Chili
Adzuki beans are packed with protein and fiber. Did you know they can also help you lose weight? Adzuki beans contain soluble fiber that helps you stay fuller longer to reduce food cravings.
Tools needed: Crock-Pot
3/4 cup dry adzuki beans
3 cups sweet potato, chopped
1 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup sun dried tomato, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
(plus an additional 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon tamari
(organic and wheat free)
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
4 1/2 cups water
1. Sort through 3/4 cup adzuki beans and discard any discolored or moldy beans. Soak beans in water for a couple hours or overnight to help the beans become more digestible.
2. Rinse beans when ready to use and add to Crock-Pot.
3. Chop sweet potatoes, onion, and carrots to about the size of the width of your thumb. Add to Crock-Pot.
4. Mince garlic and chop sun dried tomatoes, and add to Crock-Pot. Add all spices, salt, and liquid.
5. Stir and cook on low overnight or at least 8 hours. Serve with slices of fresh avocado, or pieces of your favorite bread. Enjoy on a cold wintry evening.