New Year's Eve: The master list
There's no excuse to stay in this New Year's Eve. Whether you have a date or want to go stag, local restaurants and clubs have some elegant options for marking the turn of another year. Here's the list as we have it so far, but there are dozens of others around town. Be sure to call now to ensure your reservation.
• 6: live music, passed hors d'oeuvres, cocktails and champagne toast, $150/person, 317-638-6660.
• Bella Vita: four dinner specials, dessert and champagne, $200/couple, 317-598-9011.
• Cibo Ristorante Italiano: dinner and free admission to Vapour Lounge, 317-577-9570.
• Circle City Bar & Grille: Global Culinary Experience, $85/person, 317-405-6112.
• Cobblestone Grill: special menu and music by Scott Ballantine Trio, 6 and 8:30 p.m. seatings, 317-873-4745.
• D'Vine Wine Bar: tapas dinner with hors d'oeuvres, dessert and champagne, $75/couple, $10 cover at 11:30 for free food and bubbly, 317-466-1117.
• Fionn MacCool's, Fishers: four-course dinner with wine, live music, 317-863-2100.
• The Mansion at Oak Hill: hors d'oeuvres, prime-rib buffet, dessert, $75, 317-843-9850.
• Montage at Allison Pointe: Live music by Five Easy Pieces, five-course meal, 317-577-3663.
• Mousetrap Bar & Grill: live music with Acoustic Flyer, no cover, 317-255-3189.
• The Oceanaire: four-course meal with amuse bouche, $75 plus tax/tip, 317-955-2277.
• Puck's: dinner with pumpkin ravioli, sea bass, filet with foie gras, $95/person, $110 with wine, 317-955-2315.
• R Bistro: three-course meal with sparkling wine, $50, 317-423-0312.
• Richard's Bar & Grill, Fortville: Kings of Denial, classic rock to blues, 317-485-5757.
• Santorini Greek Kitchen: special dinner, champagne and dance floor show, $40/person, $75/couple,
• Vapour Lounge: champagne and hors d'oeuvres, $25 or $200/VIP table, 317-577-9570.
Global Culinary Experience at Circle City Bar & Grille
Circle City Bar & Grille is planning to take diners on a whirlwind tour of the planet in food this New Year's Eve, Dec. 31. Those taking part can expect to visit such corners of the gastronomic universe as the Pacific Rim with Chinese dim sum items and shrimp pad Thai, to South America for chipotle roasted New York strips and a seviche salad, to the Mediterranean for a festive pasta station, and to a dessert bar with selections from all over the globe. Cost for the evening is $85, inclusive. Participants get valet parking, live music and dancing. Dinner runs from 5 to 10 p.m. with time left to make other holiday parties. Or stick around in the lounge until 11 p.m. For reservations, call 317-405-6112.
Gifts for new year renewal at The Villa
While your instinct might be to be a little harder on your body in 2006, hitting the gym for longer than you did at the start of 2005, you might also want to think about taking it a little easier on your soul. Consider treating yourself or a friend to some replenishing gifts from The Villa Inn & Spa. The Villa's spa store includes everything from Gilchrist & Soames sea washes and lotions to DermAware cleansers and Archipelago Botanicals. Wellness "retreats" focus on weight loss or stress management, things that will probably turn up on your resolutions list for the year, as well as a Girls Getaway and a Couples Escape. Don't forget gift certificates for the restaurant, often listed among the city's top 50 restaurants. The Villa Inn & Spa is located in the historic Old Northside at 1456 N. Delaware St. Call 317-916-8500 for more information, or visit www.thevillainn.com.
The Oceanaire wins "Sustainable" Award
The Oceanaire Seafood Room in Indianapolis has recently earned a Santé Restaurant Culinary Hospitality Award in the "Sustainable" category by Santé Magazine, the national magazine for restaurant and hospitality professionals. Executive Chef Ryan T. Nelson accepted the award at a Gala Awards Dinner and Ceremony on Nov. 1 at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa in Monterey, Calif. The award of "Sustainable" is given to an operation guided by ecologically and socially responsible food choices. The award honored The Oceanaire Seafood Room's commitment to delivering high-quality products while supporting and maintaining sustainable fishing practices and conservation of natural resources. As Ryan T. Nelson, executive chef at The Oceanaire, says, "By holding this standard of support to the fishing industry, we are able to raise awareness for the protection of fisheries as well as protect the future of the seafood industry."
Still seeking stories of culinary experiences
As you head out to your favorite local joints for your New Year's Eve celebrations, think about sharing some of your best dining experiences with NUVO readers. We're looking for recommendations of restaurants, tips on great dishes, nods to good servers and wait staff, and great finds at local markets and gourmet shops. Send your experiences (less than 100 words) to NUVO at email@example.com.
Special NYE Dinner and Dance at Santorini
Santorini Greek Kitchen, 1417 E. Prospect, is ringing in the new year with a dinner special consisting of a shared appetizer, individual salads, Mediterranean Style Surf and Turf, Taki's famous Greek potatoes and green beans, followed by a shared dessert platter. Also included is a glass of champagne each. The evening will also include a special belly dancing floor show. The price per couple is $40 per person or $70 per couple.