NUVO continues its support of youth, sport and downtown quality of life through its sponsorship of the Mass Ave Critierium and the IU Health Indy Criterium Bicycle festivals. I hope you will be able to join us. Kevin McKinney
The tenth annual IU Health Indy Criterium Bicycle Festival rolls into Monument Circle Saturday, July 13. This family-friendly festival is a fun way to enjoy bicycling in the heart of the city while watching world-class bicycle racing.
The IU Health Indy Criterium Bicycle Festival is one of the most hotly contested bicycle races in the Midwest, with hundreds of pro and amateur participants competing throughout the day. An exciting twist to this year’s event is the resurgence of the Mass Ave Criterium, a thrilling lead-in to the IU Health Indy Criterium. After taking a year hiatus, the Mass Ave Criterium is back as a fast-paced twilight criterium on Friday, July 12 along the vibrant 300 and 400 blocks of Massachusetts Avenue. Both races feature spectator-friendly viewing with exciting courses that loop through the heart of downtown Indianapolis.
On Saturday, July 13, the IU Health Indy Criterium is debuting a free community ride to celebrate the legacy of Marshall “Major” Taylor—one of the city’s original icons of speed—and the first African-American world champion cyclist. The Major Taylor Community Ride encourages people of all ages, skills and levels of ability to climb aboard a bike to honor Major Taylor in the city where his inspiring story began. The group will start at Meridian Street just north of Monument Circle and follow a 14 mile round-trip route to the Indy Cycloplex—home of the Major Taylor Velodrome—and back. The Major Taylor Community Ride begins at 9:00 a.m., kicking off a day of bicycle racing and festivities at the IU Health Indy Criterium.
Families and bicyclists will also enjoy many of the activities taking place IU Health Indy Criterium on Saturday, July 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. including great food and drink options in the Vendor Village, music, community rides, PNC/Meijer Kids Zone activities, bicycle helmet giveaways, kids and juniors bicycle races and much more.
An important part of the weekend’s bicycling festivities is the organization’s commitment to giving back to local Indianapolis community. Over the past nine years, more than $164,000 from the IU Health Indy Criterium has been donated to local charities who primarily serve youth through mentoring, health and physical fitness programs.
What to watch for Friday, July 12 (Mass Ave Criterium):
- 3:30 p.m. - Open Air Street Yoga presented by The Hot Room, taking place on the 400 block of Mass Ave.
- 4:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. - Vendor Village, with exciting food and beverage options.
- 4:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. - Bicycle races, both amateur and professional, throughout the evening.
What to watch for Saturday, July 13 (IU Health Indy Criterium):
- 9:00 a.m. - NEW! Major Taylor Community Ride from Monument Circle to the Indy Cycloplex – Home of the Major Taylor Velodrome.
- 9:00 a.m. - Indy Crit Kick-Off Ride for recreational bicyclists, including a parade lap around the course on closed city streets.
- 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. - Bicycle races, both amateur and professional, throughout the day. Nine races in total with varying lengths from 30-70 minutes per race.
- 10:30 a.m. - PNC/Meijer Family Bicycle Ride, featuring a 3.5-mile recreational ride along the Indianapolis Cultural Trail led by the Central Indiana Bicycling Association and CIBA Foundation.
- 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. - PNC/Meijer Kids Zone featuring bicycling obstacle courses, yoga, health education, rock wall, bounce house, and a variety of family-fun outdoor activities. Kids can pedal, jump, climb and play all while learning how to stay happy, healthy and safe this summer! Three hundred (300) bicycle helmets will be distributed by the CIBA Foundation throughout the day.
- 12:10 p.m. – 12:25 p.m. - VIP Celebrity Relay Race presented by Faegre Baker Daniels and The National Bank of Indianapolis, featuring Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett, Indiana Fever mascot Freddy Fever, Indianapolis Colts cheerleaders, and local business leaders racing on Pacers Bikeshare bicycles.
- 12:30 p.m. – 12:40 p.m. - PNC/Meijer Kids Bicycle Races (ages 3-9) on Meridian Street racing to Monument Circle.
- 1:50 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Elite Women’s Race presented by Bicycle Garage Indy and Liv, featuring some of the fastest professional and semi-professional female cyclists in the Midwest, competing for a $5,000 cash prize purse.
- 3:10 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. - Elite Men’s Race, featuring some of the fastest professional and semi-professional male cyclists in the Midwest, competing for a $5,000 cash prize purse.
Traffic Advisory July 12 (Mass Ave Criterium): The Mass Ave. Criterium will start and finish outside The Chatterbox Jazz Club at 435 Mass Ave. For racer and spectator safety, the following streets will be closed on Friday, July 12, 2019:
- 2:30-11:00 p.m.: Mass Ave. between Vermont St. and Michigan St.
- 2:30-11:00 p.m.: Mass Ave. between Delaware St. and Vermont St.
- 2:30-11:00 p.m.: Michigan St. between Mass Ave. and Alabama St.
- 3:00-11:00 p.m.: Alabama St. between Michigan St. and Vermont St.
- 3:00-11:00 p.m.: Vermont St. between Alabama St. and Delaware St.
- 3:00-11:00 p.m.: Delaware St. between Vermont St. and Mass Ave. (westernmost lane open)
Traffic Advisory July 13 (IU Health Indy Criterium): The IU Health Indy Criterium bike race will begin and end at Monument Circle. For racer and spectator safety, the following streets will be closed or partially closed on Saturday, July 13:
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: NorthWest Quadrant of Monument Circle (total closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: Market St. between Monument Circle and Illinois St. (total closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: Illinois St. between Market and New York St. (partial closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: New York St. between Capitol Avenue and Delaware St. (total closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: Meridian St. between Monument Circle and Vermont St. (total closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: Vermont St. between Pennsylvania and Meridian St. (total closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: Pennsylvania St. between Vermont and Market St. (total/partial closure)
- 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.: Ohio St. between Illinois Street and Pennsylvania St. (total closure)
Riders who either don’t have a bicycle or might not have capacity to transport one to the ride might tryIndiana Pacers Bikeshare Bicycles which are available for rent from several bicycle docking stations in the downtown area. Locations of docking stations may be accessed at pacersbikeshare.org.