"The theater season is officially underway, with five shows opening this weekend.
• Theatre on the Square opens its season with the Indianapolis premiere of Mid-Life! The Crisis Musical. A series of scenes and sketches poke fun at the frustrations of mammograms, love handles, kids who won’t leave home, weekend warriors and proctology exams. The cleverly crafted songs celebrate forgetfulness, reading glasses, biological clocks and menopause, but also touch on the sentimental wisdom that the later years afford us. Shows are Sept. 14-Nov. 25, Fridays-Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 5 p.m. Tickets are $30, $20 for seniors, full-time students and military personnel. For reservations, call the box office, 627 Massachusetts Ave., at 317-685-8687 or go to www.tots.org.
• Indianapolis Civic Theatre, 3200 Cold Spring Road on the campus of Marian College, opens its season with the Tony- and Grammy-winning Elton John and Tim Rice’s AIDA. The contemporary musical take on Verdi’s grand opera tells the musical story of the forbidden, fateful love between an Egyptian soldier and an enslaved Nubian princess — a love that ends in tragedy but ultimately transcends the vast cultural differences between two warring nations. Shows are Sept. 14-30, Thursdays at 7 p.m., Fridays-Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. Tickets are $32 ($25 on Thursdays). Call 317-923-4597 or go to www.civictheatre.org.
• Our Town opens the Indiana Repertory Theatre season. While today we tend to think of Thornton Wilder’s play with an aura of nostalgia, when it made its debut in 1939 its empty stage, fluid conception of time and intense portrait of life’s fleeting moments placed it firmly in the theatrical avant-garde. The IRT production honors this legacy with a clear-eyed, unsentimental focus while offering a rare opportunity to see a professional production of this classic. Shows run Sept. 14-Oct. 6. See www.irtlive.com for a complete schedule. Tickets begin at $32. For reservations, call the theater, 140 W. Washington St., at 317-635-5252.
• The Phoenix is presenting a family-friendly show, Altar Boyz, Sept. 13-Oct. 21, a pop musical about a fictional Christian boy band. Performances are Thursdays at 7 p.m., Fridays-Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. Tickets are $29, $15 for those 24 and under. During CheapSeats week, Sept. 13-16, all tickets are just $15. New this season, the Phoenix is partnering with downtown eatery Canary Café in a program called “Birds of a Feather” to offer a dinner and a show package for $30 on the first Friday of each production. For tickets, call 317-635-PLAY or go to www.phoenixtheatre.org. The Phoenix is located at 749 N. Park Ave.
• Actors Theatre of Indiana will present the musical revue The Taffetas Sept. 14-23, featuring best-loved songs from the ’50s. Shows are Fridays-Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. at the Pike Performing Arts Center, 6701 Zionsville Road. Call 317-216-5455 for tickets, $32.