"There are many events going on Dec. 31 that are family-friendly and, best of all, won’t break the bank. Here are just a few options.
• Family New Year’s Eve at the Indiana State Museum, 650 W. Washington St. Ring in the new year with an alcohol-free celebration in the Gov. Frank O’Bannon Great Hall. All ages will enjoy the live music of local band Dog Talk as well as games, crafts, magicians and clowns. The party even includes a balloon drop for the little ones at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 for non-members, and reservations are required: 317-232-1637, www.indianamuseum.org.
• The Big Car Bohemian New Year’s Eve Bash at Big Car Gallery, 1043 Virginia Ave., Ste. 215 in the Murphy Arts Center, is all-ages and features music from The Philosophy, The Innate, Sea Crowns, Odawas, The Send Program, Kaitonn Slusher, Adam Kuhn, Amtrak and Jared Birden’s Rosebuds, plus make-and-take art. Concert begins at 8:30 p.m. and admission is $12, or $20 a pair. Call 317-501-3252 for more info.
• End the year right with a 5K run/walk. Run to the New Year begins at 8:30 a.m. in Cool Creek Park, 2000 E. 151st St. For information and registration, go to www.tuxbro.com.
• Zoo Year’s Eve at the Indianapolis Zoo, 1200 W. Washington St., includes ongoing activities and entertainment that begin at 5 p.m. and end with a laser light show and an early countdown to the new year at 9 p.m. Guests receive a free party favor and enjoy activities and entertainment that include free train and carousel rides, festive DJ music, games, animal chats and shows, the Radio Disney Party Patrol and more. Special holiday food treats will also be available. Pre-sale tickets for non-members are $8; on Dec. 31, tickets can be purchased only at the front gate at $10 for non-members.
• The ComedySportz New Year’s Eve Countdown Blowout features two New Year’s matches. The first match will start at 7:30 p.m. and will be normally priced at $14, $12 for students and seniors, and $6 for kids 4-11. The second match will start at 10:30 p.m. and will feature a final game timed to end at midnight. Tickets for this show, which includes special treats, surprises and noise-makers, will be $20, $16 for seniors and students, and $12 for children 5-11. Kids 4 and under get in free for either show. ComedySportz is located at 721 Massachusetts Ave. Reservations are required; call 317-951-8499.