"Indiana Black Pride is holding the second annual Black Pride Festival, “Diversity and Soul,” with nearly a week of community events Aug. 9–13. For more information and a complete schedule of events, visit www.indianablackpride.com.
• Wednesday, Aug. 9: Indianapolis author Darvin Lewis will give a reading and sign copies of his How Big is Your Faith? from 6:30-8 p.m. at A Shade of Gray Bookstore, 1402 N. Pennsylvania (www.ashadeofgraybookstore.com). How Big is Your Faith? is a novel that explores the complexities of coming out and coming to God in times of personal crisis.
• Thursday, Aug. 10: Town Hall Meeting at Jesus Metropolitan Community Church to discuss the issues of gay marriage, the Church and the African-American community. The Rev. Tommie Watkins will discuss his book Living Out Loud. This event will start at 7 p.m. and is free. Jesus MCC is located at 2950 55th Place. For more information visit www.jesusmcc.org or call 317-722-0000.
• Friday, Aug. 11: The historic Madame Walker Theatre, 617 Indiana Ave., is the site of the Community Health Fair beginning at 7 p.m. and a performance by the poets collective Adodi Muse at 8 p.m. Admission is $10. Info at www.walkertheatre.com.
• Saturday, Aug. 12: Picnic in the Park, noon-7 p.m. with food, vendors and entertainment at Watkins Park (located at 2360 Martin Luther King Jr. St.). Deirdre McCalla is the Saturday afternoon headliner. New this year, Indiana Black Pride will have a 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament during the festival. Entry fee is $75. For more information and/or to enter the tournament, go to www.indianablackpride.com.
• Sunday, Aug. 13: Community Worship Service at Jesus Metropolitan Community Church beginning at 10:45 a.m.