Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to do. Indy Parks and Recreation offers a variety of outdoor recreational activities for families this winter.
Indy Parks has two indoor ice rinks and one outdoor, seasonal facility that are ideal for ice skating. If you skate on a park pond, stay near the shoreline, and be on the lookout for open or thin ice.
• Ellenberger Ice Rink, 5301 E. St. Clair St.
• Perry Ice Rink, 451 E. Stop 11 Road
• Eagle Creek Pond, 7840 W. 56th St. Hours: dawn to dusk (same as park hours). Note: This is the only outdoor ice skating pond authorized by Indy Parks. Flags will be on site at the pond designating if it is safe to ice skate: red = not safe; green = safe.
Cross-country skiing is a great winter workout. The following locations are designated for cross-country skiing this winter. Ski rental is available at Eagle Creek Park only.
• Eagle Creek Park (groomed trails)
• Northwestway Park, 5253 W. 62nd St.
• Southeastway Park Trails, 5624 S. Carroll Road
• Fall Creek, Eagle Creek and Pleasant Run Greenways
Indy Parks has approved sledding locations. Sledding is only permitted during park hours, dawn to dusk, and all sledding must take place in the designated sledding area of the approved location. While sledding, children must be supervised by an adult.
• Bel Aire Park, 2915 Tibbs Ave.
• Brookside Park, 3500 Brookside Parkway South Drive
• Christian Park, 4200 English Ave. • Eagle Creek Park
• Ellenberger Park
• Garfield Park, 2450 S. Shelby St.
• Glenns Valley Park, 8015 Bluff Road
• Paul Ruster Park, 11300 E. Prospect St.
• Rhodius Park, 1001 S. Belmont St.
Oh dead Christmas tree
Indy Parks and Recreation’s 2005-2006 Christmas Tree Recycling Program runs through Jan. 31 with collection sites at eight Indy Parks. Recycled trees are used to create much for the city’s parks.
The following parks are designated collection sites. Trees may be dropped off during normal park hours (dawn to dusk), seven days a week.
• Broad Ripple Park, 1550 Broad Ripple Ave., main parking lot
• Ellenberger Park, main parking lot
• Garfield Park, MacAllister Center parking lot
• Krannert Park, 605 S. High School Road, northeast parking lot
• Northwestway Park, parking lot
• Perry Park, soccer field parking lot
• Riverside Park, 2420 N. Riverside Dr., tennis court parking lot
• Sahm Park, 6801 E. 91st St., soccer field parking lot
Be sure Christmas trees are free from all ornaments, lights, tree stands, plastic bags, nails and other decorations prior to drop-off. Wreaths and garland will be accepted only if all wires and decorations are removed first. No artificial trees or materials will be accepted.
Call 317-327-PARK or visit www.indyparks.org for additional Christmas tree recycling information.