Swing sets and flowerbeds 

"Plastic and steel are both recyclable, so you should slide on over to a nearby recycling center."

EDITOR'S NOTE: All of Ask Renee's columns are moving to NUVO! Here's one from October of 2015.

Find more Ask Renee columns here: nuvo.net/askrenee

click to enlarge baby-swings-aa.jpg

My husband and I have been doing some landscape updates to our home. We removed a very old wood swing set with a molded plastic ladder (not in good shape) and removed some steel lawn edging from the flowerbeds. Are any of these items recyclable? If so, I would love some advice on where to take them. (We’re in Carmel/Hamilton County.)

Thank you,



Plastic and steel are both recyclable, so you should slide on over to a nearby recycling center, like OmniSource, RecycleForce or RockTenn. Or, you could try putting the items in your Republic curbside recycling bin if they’re not too bulky. My contact at Republic offers this advice: if you’re unsure about a particular item, include it! They will sort out non-recyclable items. So, if you’re teetering on whether they will accept it, toss it in.

Check out Indiana Recycling Coalition’s recycling directory to find recycling centers close to you.

Piece out,


(NOTE: This letter appeared in NUVO on Oct. 21, 2015.)


Around the Web

This Week's Flyers

About The Author

Renee Sweany

Renee Sweany

Renee has spent the past several years surrounding herself with like-minded people who share her passion for caring for the planet. She began writing “Ask Renee” after four years of offering green tips through her e-newsletter Green Piece Indy. E-mail her your green living queries at rsweany@sbcglobal.net.

Today's Best Bets | All of today's events

Around the Web

All contents copyright © 2017 NUVO Inc.
3951 N. Meridian St., Suite 200, Indianapolis, IN 46208
Website powered by Foundation