The ApocaDocs, Jim and Michael, present the Pre-Apocalypse News & Info Quiz (PANIQuiz) for the week ending July 17, 2011, to test your knowledge of current environmental news.
This Week's PANIQuestions (Answers below):
1. Why are oceans absorbing less CO2?
a. More boats and ships are displacing more water.
b. They're already filled up w/ CO2.
c. CO2 fatigue.
d. Acidic oceans reject CO2.
e. They're getting warmer.
2. What is the mating of polar bears and brown bears resulting in?
a. Headaches for homeowners
b. Tasmanian devil cubs
c. Hybrid offspring
d. Increase in wedding registries at Bed, Bear and Beyond
e. Light brown bears
3. What has a new study concluded about the fed's estimate of climate change damage?
a. Grossly underestimated
b. Closer to $900 per ton than the fed's $21 per ton
c. All of these are true.
d. Fundamentally flawed
e. The equivalent to adding $9 to each gallon of gas
4. What have Neuroscientists at Ohio State University linked fine-particle air pollution to?
a. Coughing, wheezing and hacking
c. People's lungs
d. Slow thinking, bad memory and depression
e. Massive boogers
5. What does the failed GOP initiative, BULB, stand for?
a. Beatific Underlings Like Bulldogs
b. Bilk our Utter Liberal Brothers
c. Better Use of Our Light Bulbs
d. Better Understand Love or Bust
e. Bite Me Under the Left Buttcheek
6. What do the record-setting declines in Arctic ice thickness and extent indicate?
a. In ten years, deniers will try to forge new identities as adaptationists.
b. In thirty years, major changes in traditional weather patterns will create demand for the "pocket sunbrella."
c. A candy-striped buoy could bob at the North Pole in thirty years.
d. In thirty years, geoengineering's brand will have cycled from hope to horror via unintended consequences.
e. These answers are all pretty much true.
7. Why is land less able to absorb CO2?
a. It's tired of hearing about global warming.
b. Rising levels of nitrous oxide and methane will offset any benefit.
d. Land is taking after the oceans.
e. There's less land all the time due to development.
8. What are House Republicans accusing the EPA and environmentalists of doing?
c. Trying to destroy the planet.
d. Extortion and money-laundering.
e. Sexual favors.