The ApocaDocs, Jim and Michael, present the Pre-Apocalypse News & Info Quiz (PANIQuiz) for the week
beginning Monday, April, 4, to test your knowledge of current environmental news.
Free Book, "Humoring the Horror of the Converging Emergencies"
This Week's PANIQuestions (Answers below):
1. What new phenomenon is concerning scientists, regarding mountain
a. They've made the species jump from lodgepole pine to jack pine.
b. They've made the species jump from lodgepole pine to human femur.
c. Birds who eat them quickly die.
d. They've made the species jump from lodgepole pine to maple.
e. The beetles no longer have that cheery, "mountain pine" scent.
2. How many oil and gas well holes in the US have been abandoned and
b. Impossible to estimate.
c. Hundreds of thousands.
d. Watch out!
3. What is likely being created by the rapid warming in the Arctic?
a. All of this is pretty much happening — or going to happen.
b. Colder winters in Europe.
c. A slower Gulf Stream.
d. Fresh water flushing into the Atlantic Ocean
e. A fast-growing pool of fresh water.
4. According to recent estimates, how many shipping containers fall
off container ships at sea, per year?
a. Impossible to estimate.
b. None, you nabob of negativism, you!
5. What was recently found in the New Delhi public water supply?
a. Cooties from the 'untouchables.'
b. Disease-causing bacteria carrying NDM-1, the new genetic
resistance to antibiotics.
d. Mutant alligators.
6. Given the staggering rise in asthma, what is Congress threatening
to do about pollution?
a. Weaken the Clean Air Act.
b. Stop breathing it in.
c. Shut down coal-fired plants.
d. Give it a congressional medal of honor.
e. Strengthen the Clean Air Act.
7. What is the chemical industry on edge about?
a. Their chemicals don't get them rich enough.
b. Their chemicals don't get them high enough.
c. Their chemicals don't make them calm.
d. The EPA's effort to make information about their chemicals public.
e. The EPA's effort to hide information from the public.
8. What does a new study conclude is killing frogs?
a. Clever cats
b. Cooper hawks
c. A fungicide
d. A pesticide
e. Bully frogs