• The holiday time brings a rash of seasonal parties. One of the big ones for jazz fans is the Jazz Kitchen’s annual Holiday Jazz Jam on Saturday, Dec. 22. This year’s event is hosted by Indy’s rapidly rising jazz record label Owl Studios. Performances are at 8:30 and 10:30 p.m. and admission is $12. Dinner reservations are recommended: call 317-253-4900.
• It’ll be a busy week at the Chatterbox: Honky Tonk Judy keeps her decade-long tradition of a Holiday Sing-Along on Wednesday, Dec. 19 at 8 p.m. On Friday, Dec. 21, the Rob Dixon Quartet is on the bandstand, and on Saturday, Dec. 22, you can bask in the warm sounds of Stacie Sandoval and the Ken Fary Trio. Music on both Fridays and Saturdays runs from 10:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. If you miss Judy, there’s another Holiday Sing-Along Monday, Dec. 24 from 8-10 p.m. with Jane Pozek on the piano.
• Santa’s got another Christmas jazz CD to give away: It’s Christmas Time, sung by Peter Oprisko and arranged and conducted by Sean Baker. The record reunites Heather Neideffer-Skiver with Oprisko and Baker: Those three were known as the Dream-Liters from their college days at Indiana University. Oprisko and Baker debut four new holiday tunes on this outing, and BWJO provide horns throughout the record.
• Gregg Bacon’s Group will play Morty’s Comedy Joint (3625 E. 96th St.) Thursday, Dec. 20 from 6-7:45 p.m. The featured comedian is Geoff Brown at 8 p.m.
• Finally, it’s that time of year for the fat man in his red suit to pull out those request charts. He’s gonna check ’em twice, and for those that have played well with others this year, he’ll call on his bebop blizzard band of elves to honor their special wish.
My chart is also in the mix.
1. Next year, make sure that the Indy Jazz Fest has dry, low-humidity, sunny days, clear nights and capacity crowds.
2. Create a venue and event where school-age musicians interested in jazz can play and jam on a regular basis and even compete for honors and prizes.
3. Drop off a swinging vibes player and a hip accordionist on the local scene.
Have a cool Yule.