• For its second presentation of the 2006-’07 Sounds of Indiana Concert Series, the Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St., will showcase Indiana in the Jazz Age Friday, Nov. 10 in the Frank & Katrina Basile Theater. The multigenre performance highlights the music, songs and dances of the 1920s and 1930s of the nightclubs, dance halls and music theaters of Indianapolis, Bloomington and around the state.
• Jazz musician Monika Herzig on piano will lead, with Jack Gilfoy, drums, Frank Smith, bass, Bill James, clarinet, Larry MacWilliams, trumpet, and special guest Reggie Duvalle Jr., trombone. Added to the musical lineup will be tap and swing dancers and Hoagy Carmichael re-enactor Kevin MacDowell playing the vintage 1915 piano originally owned by Reggie Duvalle Sr. that he used to teach jazz style technique to Hoagy Carmichael.
Tickets are $17 for the general public, $13.50 for members and seniors and $10 for students. To purchase tickets call the Indiana Historical Society at 317-232-1882.
• The Indiana State Museum, 650 W. Washington St., will host the Indianapolis Jazz Orchestra with special guest Cathy Morris and the IJO Singers Thursday, Nov. 9 in the ISM Grand Hall at 7:30 p.m. The concert will feature classic big band and jazz orchestra music in the first half. The second portion of the concert will showcase IJO original music arranged by IJO trombonist Ryan Fraley and a special composition by Cathy Morris.
This event is part of the Indianapolis Spirit & Place Festival. Advance tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for students; at the door, $25 and $15. For tickets, call the Indiana State Museum at 317-232-1637. There will be a free, pre-concert panel discussion between local big band experts, which is open to the general public one hour before the performance.
• Friday Night Swing Dance in the Fountain Square Theatre, 1111 Prospect St., Nov. 10 will feature the Stardusters. Music is from 8:30-11:30 p.m.; admission $10.
• Jazz Works … Pass it On! at the Gene B. Glick Junior Achievement Education Center, 7435 N. Keystone Ave., will conduct a free interactive workshop for musicians of all ages Saturday, Nov. 11 with Grammy-nominated Canadian saxophonist Jane Bunnett from 2:30-5 p.m.
• Veteran tenor saxophonist Tommy “Man With a Horn” Wills plays Thursdays from 8-11 p.m. at The Pub, 2146 N. Mitthoeffer Road. Wills plays a CD release party for his new album Soulful Moods at the New Fountain Lounge, 816 W. 30th St., Wednesday, Nov. 15 from 9 p.m.-midnight with no cover charge.
• Lutz Steakhouse, 3100 Westfield Road, Noblesville, Wednesday has Suzanne Panyard and Thursday, Dave Lowe, with music from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Greg Anderson performs; Saturday, Dave Lowe, with music from 7-11 p.m., no cover charge.
• At Brix Bistro, 65 S. First St., Zionsville, Daniel Young sings and plays jazz. Thursday, Davis & Devitt play standards and jazz. Music runs from 6:30-9:30 p.m. with no cover charge.