State Fair events
The Indiana State Fair is 150 this year. Aug. 9-20 you can experience added special events and exhibits celebrating its sesquicentennial. There is so much to do at the Indiana State Fair that there is no way to even fit just the highlights here. So the following is a list of really-high highlights. For complete schedules, go to www.indianastatefair.com or call 317-927-7500.
Rides and more rides
Always popular are the wristband events: Buy a wristband and get unlimited Midway rides.
• Wednesday, Aug. 9, 5-10 p.m. “Sneak a Peek” $20
• Thursdays, Aug. 10 and Aug. 17, noon-11 p.m. “All Day Ride Survival” $23
• Fridays, Aug. 11 and Aug. 18, 8 p.m.-midnight “Midnight Madness” $20
• Monday-Tuesday, Aug. 14-15, noon-6 p.m. “Family Days” $20
• Wednesday, Aug. 16, noon-4 p.m. “Munchkins on the Midway” kiddie ride day $10
• Sunday, Aug. 20, 4-10 p.m. “Last Blast” $20
Sing a song … and buck a bronco
Concerts and special events at the fair are almost as popular as the fried Twinkies and Ferris wheel. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster and the State Fair box office. Here is the lineup.
• Third Day, Michael W. Smith and Jars of Clay Thursday, Aug. 10
• Rascal Flatts Friday, Aug. 11
• Cummins presents PRCA Rodeo & Ultimate Bullriding Friday-Saturday, Aug. 11-12
• Raven Symone Monday, Aug. 14
• Voice Xtreme Freestyle Motocross Monday, Aug. 14
• Big & Rich Tuesday, Aug. 15
• Kid Rock Wednesday, Aug. 16
• Pop Tarts presents American Idols Live Tour 2006 Thursday, Aug. 17
• Brad Paisley Friday, Aug. 18
• Pat Boone Thursday, Aug. 17
• Kanye West Sunday, Aug. 20
• Tickets to the State Fair are $6; children 5 and under are free. The fairgrounds are located at 1202 E. 38th St.
• Free parking is available at the fairgrounds’ infield, the Indiana School for the Deaf on 42nd Street and on 46th Street north of the school.
• For $5, you can park at EZ Park at the intersection of 38th Street and Fall Creek Parkway.
• Park and Ride is $2 per trip. Park your car at either Glendale Mall or the Major Taylor Velodrome and take the bus.
• From Fishers, you can take the Fair Train. Roundtrip tickets are $10, $6 for ages 3-12. For info on the Fair Train, call 317-773-6000.