Beginning brewing with Wes Martin
The time has come for you to join the illustrious ranks of homebrewers. So, what do you need to know? Wes says you can get a pretty good home setup with less than $300, and you can use this class to help you navigate the choppy waters of equipment setup, water chemistry, pitching yeast, and all the other details. Before you start queueing up the YouTube videos and burying yourself in a pile of blog posts, cut right to the chase with an actual human being you can ask actual questions. $25.
• Beginning Brewing Class: Sept.19, 10 a.m. Great Fermentations 5127 E. 65th St.
• Beginning Brewing Class: Oct. 13, 6 p.m. Great Fermentations 7900 US 36 (Avon)
• Beginning brewing class: Oct. 17, 10 a.m. Great Fermentations 5127 E. 65th St.
• Beginning brewing class: Nov. 10, 6 p.m. Great Fermentations 7900 US 36 (Avon)
• Beginning brewing class: Nov. 14, 10 a.m. Great Fermentations 5127 E. 65th St.
All-grain brewing classes
Making the switch from extracts to all-grain could be considered moving up to the pros in terms of homebrewing. It's like taking the training wheels off, or going from 5k to the marathon. You're getting flavor directly from your grains, which means a different setup and a little more skill. But worry not! Wes will be there to guide you as well. $25.
• All-grain brewing class: Sept. 19, 2 p.m. Great Fermentations 127 E. 65th St.
Tap into kegging
Exactly as it says, they'll teach you the basics of how to get your beer kegged and ready to serve. Carbonation is a little more tricky than it sounds, and you'll need a little direction from the pros. Worry not! The Great Fermentations people can help you with that, too. $15.
• Tap into kegging: Sept. 15, 6 p.m. Great Fermentations 5127 E. 65th St.
• Tap into kegging: Nov. 10, 6 p.m. Great Fermentations 5127 E. 65th St.
• Tap into kegging: Nov. 17, 6 p.m. Great Fermentations 7900 US 36 (Avon)
Final Gravity's intro to homebrewing
Final Gravity offers a free intro class for homebrewers. This one will also get you 10 percent off of equipment purchases, as well as a new understanding of how to do at-home extract brewing. This is meant for those who would like a more brief overview of the process, but you'll definitely be able to brew a batch of beer after this class. FREE.
• Final Gravity Homebrew Supply See website for dates and times 3131 E. Thompson Road
Big Woods Brewing Company
Do you love beer? Ever wonder how beer is made? Want to learn the difference between porter and stout or lager and ale? Big Woods is now offering an exciting new class designed to teach you all about the world of beer. This is a little bit more edutainment, but still totally worth the drive.
• Quaff N' Brew beer school Oct. 3, 11 a.m. Continues through Oct. 31 60 Molly Ln. (Nashville) $5, $10 to add a pint glass