For other jobs in the greater Indianapolis area visit our online classifieds
Digital Development Guru (aka: WordPress Expert)
Are you ready to join Indy’s most creative thinkers?
NUVO’s Digital Development Guru is a WordPress expert and an expert, or at the very least an early adopter, of all things digital media. This person will be responsible for building and maintaining NUVO’s digital portfolio as well as future commercial projects. As a web developer, this position is responsible for all aspects of front-end and backend development and help shape our digital direction going forward. This is a rare chance to be at the center of NUVO's digital future. This person is able to anticipate and act upon emerging tech to engage NUVO’s coveted digital-native, socially active and progressive audience. Ultimately, this position is accountable for creating engaged readers by optimizing existing digital assets and developing new ones.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
You will attend meetings with stakeholders, write technical specifications, develop and act on best practice processes e.g. We work to tight deadlines in a dynamic media environment so you will need to juggle several projects at once. We have a collaborative approach to projects and you will be part of a highly motivated and focused team working together to see projects through to delivery, on time and within budget.
• Quickly develop NUVO.net as a responsive, scalable, open, mobile-first site using WordPress.
• Liaise with IT, Editorial, Production, Marketing and Advertising departments to put best practice processes into place.
• Create and/or integrate plug-in services and modules for WordPress.
• Document technical and functional specifications.
• Ensure that we meet commercial 'go-live' deadlines.
• Provide technical consultancy services to stakeholders and occasionally clients.
• Other ad-hoc duties as required.
Best candidates are quick learners with a bootstrap, DIY approach to life. Demonstrated project management or coordination skill, especially in the field of software or web development will go a long way.
• Documented experience in delivering websites using WordPress, understanding its strengths and weaknesses.
• Experience with WordPress templates.
• Experience developing WordPress plugins and themes.
• Experience developing in WordPress for media applications.
• Experience with Google Analytics.
• Proactive, willing to take initiative to meet deadlines in a fast paced, commercially driven working environment with constantly shifting priorities.
• Able to demonstrate effective oral and written communication ability covering all routine activities and contacts; be able to occasionally explain things in a non-technical manner.
• Understand issues surrounding analysis, tuning, scalability, high availability and concurrency of the WordPress platform and hosting infrastructure and work alongside the wider operations team towards these goals.
• Grasp of the full web-stack, from relational database to working knowledge of HTML/CSS.
• Familiarity with all applicable tools, methods, procedures and standards.
• A systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving with attention to detail.
• Whether formally trained or self-taught, able to absorb, rapidly, new technical information as required.
• Able to competently plan, schedule and monitor their own work.
Preferred Experience for this Role:
• Experience with the tools surrounding WordPress: MySQL, Memcached, Nginx.
• Experience with parent themes, caching systems (WPSuper Cache, W3 Total Cache etc.), HyperDB, Yoast SEO.
• UI design experience with Adobe CS.
• Confident building user interfaces from PSD files and wireframes for functional specification.
• Strong understanding of object-oriented PHP.
• Experience with project management software (Basecamp).
• Experience with analytic or dashboard software, like Chartbeat.
• Experience with Doubleclick for Publishers (DFP).
• Experience with online video and audio distribution.
• Experience with gamification.
• Experience with Social Login.
• Experience in app development.
• Experience working in a structured, team-based environment and understanding of good software engineering practices.
NUVO’s future includes significant digital audience development. New products and their corresponding goals will come along with these industry-demanding initiatives. Being a proactive thought-leader in this arena and being an active participant in NUVO’s growth will be one of the most critical elements in the continuing growth of this position.
Send resume and links to: Braden R. Nicholson, General Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
NUVO Street Team Marketing and Promotions 2015 Internship
NUVO is looking for social, outgoing, high-energy individuals who are enthusiastic about promotions and marketing to help us spread the word about NUVO to the Indianapolis community in our Summer 2015 Marketing and Promotions internship. Promotions and marketing interns at NUVO will get the best of both worlds as you receive valuable real world experience in our offices and the opportunity to attend some of Indy's greatest music, arts, and social events.
This internship is the chance to learn first-hand the business of selling and marketing modern media.
While interning with NUVO, interns will gain great exposure by working with our sales, marketing and promotions departments and assisting in all their efforts. Interns are invited and encouraged to attend departmental meetings to gain first hand experience across all aspects of a modern media company including web, marketing, promotions, editorial and production. Educational meetings will be set up between managers of different departments and the student interns.
Additionally, interns will assist NUVO by staffing various cultural events around town. This includes but is not limited to: passing out NUVO materials, conducting enter-to-win giveaways, shooting photos at the event, emceeing the event, and otherwise interacting with the public.
Interns will be required to be in the office a minimum of one day per week (totaling 8 hours) and each intern will be required to work two events per week out of the office. Event hours will vary per event. This internship is non-paid and is for-credit only. Staffers will also have access to tickets, NUVO swag, and additional comp items at the Promotions and Marketing Coordinator's discretion.
To apply, please contact Kristen Johnson (email@example.com)
"NUVO NightCrawler" Nightlife Internship
Do you have what it takes to be a voice of Indy’s nightlife? Our Nightlife Intern is an expert on the best spots to go at night in Indianapolis. You have knowledge of popular nightlife places and can identify new or unique nightlife spots. This person is a well-organized individual, works well independently, thrives in a fast-paced environment and takes initiative without direction. You are highly outgoing and engaging with people around Indianapolis. This position will work alongside Marketing and Promotions interns. This position is an unpaid position for college course-credit only. Although this position is unpaid, your name will be published in NUVO on a two-page NUVO Night Crawler spread. This spread will include a picture of you, 8 words on a given subject showing your personality, pictures from the bar or event you attended and a Q & A section.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
•Quickly develop the “Nightlife Crawler” role in NUVO’s weekly issue.
Is 21 or older.
•Go out to specific destinations to take pictures of people enjoying their experience.
•Interviewing people (minimum of 6) at the venue.
•Keeping track of names/pictures to give accurate attribution.
•Turning in questions/answers on deadline weekly.
•Passing out Night Crawler cards at every venue you attend and to people who you take pictures of so they know where to find their picture in the paper and online.
•Expert in using social media to promote NUVO Night Crawler while taking the pictures and during the week with #NUVONightCrawler
•Must come into the position with a knowledge of the major players in Indy's nightlife scene, promoters and major monthly and weekly events.
•Must have the desire and willingness to learn even more.
Expectations: To engage readers by going to a specific bar or night time event, taking pictures of people at the bar/event and asking 2 individuals a given question to answer that will be included in the paper along side their picture at the bar/event. Promoting NightCrawler on social media with the designated hashtag.
If you think you have what it takes to be a NUVO Night Crawler, email your resume to Events and Promotions Coordinator, Kristen Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org)