Later this month, NUVO will present 500 facts about the Indy 500. Between now and then, we'll be sharing five facts per day from our upcoming story.
IMS got something of a facelift in the off-season, so let's dig into some track facts:
17. An early version of the “wing and wheel” logo appeared as early as the Speedway’s first motorized event.
The tickets for the Aug. 1909 motorcycle and auto races feature a graphic with a central tire flanked by two outstretched wings. The letters “IMS” are superimposed on the picture.
18. The pagoda first appeared in 1913.
The original four-tiered pagoda was razed by fire in 1925 to make room for the new pagoda, which was moved back from the track a considerable distance as speeds increased.
19. The golf course went in in 1929.
Initially, the 27-hole course (!) had nine holes inside the track.
20. The starting flag was red until 1930.
According to theindychannel.com, “[A] green flag replaced a red one to start the 38 drivers on their 500-mile journey.” Today, a red flag means a race has been stopped or suspended due to unsafe conditions.
21. Flags were used to signal caution all around the track until 1935.
That’s when lights first went in to signal the drivers, yellow and green side-by side at various locations around the oval.